Here's the article: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/09/world/europe/denmark-zoo-giraffe/
Now, this is where I get heated and pissy. Let's start by saying that there's really no way around it: anyone involved in this act is a straight-up piece of shit who deserves to be mauled to death in the most torturous way possible by the animals that are in captivity at that zoo.
Now that I've gotten that out of my system, let me tell you in a more specific way why this is so disturbing.
In no particular order:
- The zoo uses the term "culling" and says-- in fact-- that it "culls" 20 or 30 animals a year. Yep, don't need the animals YOU chose to breed and then hold in captivity? Just kill them...
- And be sure to use a bolt gun because you've got to preserve that meat for all the other animals. Who cares if the bolt gun is a brutal weapon? And who cares if the giraffe is forced to endure such pain?
- Let me go back to point #1 and elaborate. PETA has a saying/mission which begins with the words "Animals Are Not Ours..." If only the zoo-- which is supposed to be a place that's kind to and good to animals-- understood this. In this case, a living being's life was seen as a commodity-- yes, at a ZOO. That poor giraffe should have been born in Africa-- living life as intended. Not in some fucked-up "zoo" that traps it in an enclosure and then decides the giraffe's life must end because they have "surplus" giraffes. This is where the non-vegans will say, "But at least he had a good life in the zoo. He would have been killed in Africa." Yeah, people, Africa is real life. It's evolution. Whether the giraffe got eaten the day after he was born or lived for years, he would have lived life as it should be lived. Not as the property of sociopathic zookeepers.
- By the way, I wonder how much money the zoo makes for this international breeding program? Money ALWAYS fucks animals.
- Why wouldn't the zoo allow the giraffe to be sterilized?
People: do you hear the insanity? LISTEN to what you're saying. How do you justify that? How do you make your sick, twisted mind believe the garbage you spout?
- I'm all for educating kids about the realities of animal abuse. They need to know what goes on. But this just teaches kids that it's okay to discard ... also known as KILL... unwanted animals. What kind of sick lesson is that for kids?
I just don't get it. I'm not a religious person, but I often hope that animals like this giraffe go to heaven or some sort of better place-- where their lives are valuable and can be lived joyously. And I'm pretty sure there's a hell for all the people who cause so much of it for animals here.